Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Review

Needs better detection and response, better malware remediation; it catches basic things

What is our primary use case?

Endpoint protection. The performance has been adequate, not great.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest benefit right now is that we have a lot of people who know it well. Based on what we've seen, we don't think it's the best solution out there. But it catches basic things.

What is most valuable?

Protecting data, protecting end-points.

What needs improvement?

The biggest thing I would like to see is malware remediation, if there is some kind of outbreak. We'd like to see better remediation and better detection and response. It's pretty good at capturing things, but it doesn't stop everything, so better machine learning would be helpful.

It has been around a while but I don't think it has successfully made the jump into next-generation features, like a lot of its competitors have.

It's fairly scalable. It meets our needs from a scalability standpoint.

Symantec tech support is fairly good, a little hard to get a hold of sometimes, but fairly good overall.

We are switching because we don't feel that Symantec as a company is keeping up with next-generation trends. They just seem to be resting on their accomplishments too much and don't seem like they are progressive.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are a highly rated, good product - that factor is at the top of the list. Also, good functionality, good support, good price, and good margins, since we resell.

We have been working with Sophos for a couple of years now, and we finally decided to make it official and move forward with them instead of Symantec. I like the Sophos story. I like their solution. I like their holistic approach. And their support is really great.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Symantec's solution a six out of 10. It's not as feature-rich with next-generation technology, as a lot of its competitors are.

My advice would be, look at something else. Don't look at Symantec. Look for something that has a more holistic approach.