Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Review

Ensures that we receive security against all known attack vectors with efficacy

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner or distributor of Symantec Endpoint Protection. We use this solution for antivirus and cyber threat protection. Internally, we are using it to ensure that we receive security against all known attack vectors with efficacy, cyber defense at scale, high-performance client, and on-premises management architecture.

How has it helped my organization?

Endpoint Protection has improved our operations by protecting our servers from potential cyber threats.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a Device Control policy to block all USB thumb drives and all USB hard drives. We use this feature for some areas here in the company and it's been great for us because these areas contain very important information and we are doing everything we can to avoid breaches, data theft, and data leaks.

What needs improvement?

We must have complete dissolution with advance care protection but we are finding out that we need more Symantec technical specialists. We have identified a need to hire at least one more technical specialist familiar with Symantec to improve our solutions capabilities.

Additionally, an endpoint detection response feature would be great but not with an additional license, it should be included as an additional feature. We have identified this as a solution that our customers are very interested in, but they don't want to purchase additional subscriptions.

The stability is great.

The scalability of the solution is great.

Currently, we have around 400 employees using this solution.

We haven't used their technical support. We receive support directly from Symantec here in Mexico and they are pretty responsive.

There were difficulties at the beginning with the setup. I wasn't directly involved with the initial setup but from what I heard, from the IT department, is that they encountered issues when attempting to create differentials between the principle, directors, and manager groups.

The deployment and improvements took two months to implement because we have branch offices all over the place.

Deployment required three people and support only requires one person; the IT manager.

Compared to other products and brands here in Mexico, the price is okay, somewhere in the middle. Our solution is unique in that it can adapt to a variety of pricing and licensing constraints considering we have the corporate, government, and academic mandates. The account managers here in Mexico always give us support in the form of applicable discounts and adjustments.

What other advice do I have?

The management console is great. We only have only one person managing and controlling the console. It seems to be very user-friendly.

On a scale of one to 10, with one being the worst and 10 being the best, I would rate this product a nine. To make it a ten, it should be free. The cost is restrictive to some degree.

1 Comment
author avatarRichard Benfatto
TOP 5User

UNQUOTE

In regards to this semantic English expression, above ( porque de alli viene la raiz..........since the root comes from there) let me tell you that I got into this product knowing nothing about Symantec.
You need to hire (good luck) people who knows well, networks, DNS and look for the small details. Yes, there will be a need to see any specifics that Symantec may have done and its functionality is beyond some people, but in general is knowledge obtained rather thatn a quick course and/or a piece of paper, called certification. And of course if you find those ones, pay.