Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Review

Reliable solution that offers good performance and the latest protection

What is our primary use case?

I am working as an endpoint security consultant. I'm not only working on Symantec. I also work with Kaspersky, McAfee, and all other vendors. I found Symantec is the best.

How has it helped my organization?

Symantec is top of all of the antivirus tools. I couldn't find any single incident that happened. Symantec was not the leader previously, McAfee and Kaspersky were. This is a new game.

What is most valuable?

In Symantec Endpoint Protection, the most valuable feature I like is the good performance.

With Symantec, I always know this tool will be reliable and with the latest protection.

What needs improvement?

The device control level and application control level should improve. I am finding a lot of issues when I block the devices, like a printer or scanner.

In the classes of the devices for the application control, the most important issue is the hashing. Nowadays all the vendors, like Cisco firewalls, are detecting threats with the hashes.

Symantec has this option that we can block them always by the hashes but the problem is that sometimes Symantec detects these hashes and is not consistent. These two parts should improve. The rest is always awesome. These two parts are very critical because I found a problem in application and device control.

Symantec Endpoint has a perfect agent. It's going to be how many agents you can combine in resources. In the new releases, if they create a single agent to improve the control incrementally, it would be better.

If you want to deploy ATP, you should have a separate event. You have to install separate events. With Symantec Endpoint Protection, any other protection should be installed, then configure the warnings. It does not ask for any new agent to install on the client machine.

A single agent is enough. Symantec will get a lot of popular support from the industry because people don't like to install agents. For the ATP, you have to install separate events. For the Endpoint, you have to install separate events. If you install all the separate events, it is a huge load on a Windows machine. People start complaining.

If Symantec wants to improve, they should have a single event for all their products, like ATP, DLP, and Endpoint Protection.

I have been using Symantec Endpoint Protection for more than ten years.

I have been using Symantec since 2007. I didn't have any issues regarding even the updates and the migration to the new version. I didn't have any problems, but with the other vendors, I found a lot of problems.

On Windows, this is very fine and perfect, but for the Linux it needs improvement. Whenever I install it on Linux, I found a lot of problems. Even on the Mac as well.

Kaspersky has Android support as well, but in Symantec, they still don't have support for Android. You should have Mac and Android device support too.

The Endpoint solution should have support for all types of devices. Symantec has only Windows support (which is the very best), but for the Mac, I found some errors.

It should improve Mac and Android support like Windows device support. The protection of Windows level support is very tight and strong.

The technical support is also very good. Any time that I open a case with them, they have three types of support levels. If I put it on two, immediately they call me, or if nobody is online, there are the chat agents.

You can start and use the chat for support. The support is very good. But Kaspersky has 24-hour support. You cannot stop your business continuity. We can't tell the people they will come online later. Other than this case, Symantec is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward, not complex. For me, it's very easy.

What other advice do I have?

In my personal experience, most people use Symantec. In my whole life, I couldn't find any problems with Symantec. In the ransomware protection, though, I found many issues.

Many people were having infections but the virus sometimes was not detected. Even the Kaspersky software could not detect it, but if I install Symantec on any client I couldn't find the ransomware. The problem is Symantec is more expensive than other vendors. Kaspersky is in comparison very cheap.

If you are working in an organization and you have 10,000 users, if you compare Symantec with the other vendors you will find only a small difference in the price.

I always tell people if you have a budget, if you have money, if you need stability, go with Symantec. If you think that your data is sensitive, you can not worry about the money.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Symantec Endpoint Protection a nine.

1 visitor found this review helpful