Symantec Messaging Gateway Review

A stable on-premise email security solution that's easy to manage, but support could be better

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a perimeter gateway where it scans for spam. We use all the features and configure all the features, like malware and content filtering. But most of the requests come for content filtering, where we need filters based on some specific words or subjects or based on the reports that come from government agencies.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us by protecting us from spam, and it also checks for viruses.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's simple and easy to configure, deploy, and manage. The reporting function has all the features we're looking for, and we are fine with that.

What needs improvement?

Support could be better. What's also lacking when you compare it with Proofpoint and other threat protection solutions is that it does the basic stuff, but we need more advanced threat handling.

I have been dealing with Symantec Messaging Gateway for about seven or eight years.

We have used it for many years, and I never faced any issues. Even if it crashes, let's say the VM itself rebooted or something, then it does Linux basic things and it comes back online.

We have a couple of nodes extended at the moment, and so far, we haven't had any issues with configuration, replication, or when the firmware is updated. It works fine.

Technical support was good before they moved to Broadcom. After it went to Broadcom, the support quality degraded.

It was deployed before I started working on it, but I feel like it was easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would tell potential users that it's simple and easy to configure, deploy, and manage.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Symantec Messaging Gateway a seven.

Latest Version
More Symantec Messaging Gateway reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee Email Gateway [EOL]
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Messaging Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.