Symantec Privileged Access Manager Review

Session recording enhances the ability to regulate and control privileged access accounts.

What is most valuable?

CA PAM has session recording, which is a very valuable feature. Overall, it is generally easy to use. It's a relatively simple product to setup and configure. You're not looking at tons of Professional Services hours to get it running.

How has it helped my organization?

Its primary benefits are the ability to regulate and control privileged access accounts, and their usage. Say for instance, that you have an administrator account for your Oracle EBS system: you obviously don't want your system administrators all sharing a single account. If you do find yourself in a situation where you only have one administrator account, you can setup Privileged Access Manager to track which administrators are using that single administrator account. That is very useful.

What needs improvement?

They actually just announced adding features that I would have liked included in the release that we're using. These new features all revolve around reporting and analytics. The basic reporting that comes with it is basic. They are not broad enough or deep enough. Apparently, with the latest release that was announced yesterday, there's a new analytics piece to it that really expands on its reporting capabilities.

Some of the key analytics that I would like to see are consolidated dashboard views with information about any privileged access usage that is out of the norm from a security perspective. That is now included in this new module; but I don’t think that this module is part of the Base Privileged Access Manager

Also, the licensing model, with cost as you scale with the number of users and recordable sessions. If it was cheaper, I would give it a perfect ranking.

I have had no stability issues whatsoever with it.

We have a relatively small implementation, but from what we've seen so far, it would scale pretty well.

We’ve used a little bit of technical support. It was really just a couple of questions here and there, and the support has been very good so far.

We did not have a solution in place.

Initial setup is pretty straightforward.

My organization had a push to increase our security posture this year. One of the areas we're looking at concentrating on is the use and control of privileged accounts. We obviously looked at the feature functionality set; then cost, then ease of use with a proof of concept demo.

We considered Thycotic Secret Server and we looked at a ManageEngine product. Ultimately, it came down to a choice between the Thycotic product and CA's PAM.

What other advice do I have?

The only advice that I would give is to also consider some of the new pure Cloud-based offerings that are out. They weren't necessarily strong enough for us to consider when we were looking.

More Symantec Privileged Access Manager reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, CyberArk, BeyondTrust and others in Privileged Access Management (PAM). Updated: August 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.