Symantec Privileged Access Manager Review

Some of the valuable features are transparent login and cluster synchronization. There are a lot of gaps in the documentation.

What is most valuable?

Transparent login and cluster synchronization. This is quite stable compared with other products. It is easy to manage for the administrator.

How has it helped my organization?

After the CA acquisition of Xceedium, I was able to see a lot of improvement in technical support.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of gaps in the documentation. The documentation has to improve like anything else. There are a lot of things which are not covered in the documentation, and there are a few things which are covered in the documentation, but are not clear.

To mention the features which are not covered and which are not clear would require a separate document. Here are some examples:

• Authentication methods: PAM does support a few authentication mechanisms to login to PAM. But the documentation does not have the details of how to integrate TACACS+ in PAM. The documentation explains it at a very high level.
  • Application Connectors: PAM does support different application connectors. But for CISCO devices, the details are not clear.
  • Roles and Privileges: There are almost 200 privileges in Credential Management. There is not a document which has the details for the privileges and their functionality.
  • Segregation of Duties: There is not a document for PAM roles. For example, if the user has “Standard User” as a role, he cannot have “Approver Role” from CM. It is a limitation in PAM. This limitation might be due to security or operational functionality. But it should be documented if it is limitation of PAM.

We have been using this solution for two and a half years.

I faced stability issues in the past, but I have not faced any stability issues lately.

I have not faced any scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 6/10.

We did not use a previous solution.

The setup was straightforward.

There are currently other tools on the market which are much cheaper than PAM. They can do almost all of what PAM does, and even do it better. CA can think of reducing the pricing for PAM.

We did not evaluate other solutions.

More Symantec Privileged Access Manager reviews from users