Symantec Privileged Access Manager Review

When people are accessing our production environment as administrators or as non-end users, they use CA Privileged Access Manager​ to be able to access it

What is most valuable?

If I remember correctly, it was the two factor authentication, and the single most important capability was it supported PIV and CAC as one of the two factors. That was pretty huge for us.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization does and uses cloud-based solutions. Those have to be very secure.

Specifically, administrative access needs to be highly secure. When people are accessing the production environment as administrators or as non-end users, they use CA Privileged Access Manager to be able to access it.

What needs improvement?

Trouble free installation and configuration and not even noticing that it's installed. There's too many steps involved in accessing the production network. Too many things you have to do to get on.

It'd be great if you just stuck in your PIV card and Windows popped up, asked you for your password. You typed it in, then it remembered your credentials.

For about 10 months.

There were some issues with stability.

From what I remember, people would complain that every 30 minutes to an hour or so, their connection would drop and they'd have to reconnect, but it wasn't clear whether that was a problem with the network we were working on or whether that was a problem with Privileged Access Manager.

We didn't run into any scale issues at all. The more people involved, the more it was able to handle.

Yeah, we worked with technology support. They were actually pretty helpful. The couple of problems we had, they were able to identify and help us resolve.

Yeah, we were using OpenVPN. We were using OpenVPN, and the biggest single reason was dual-factor authentication with PIV and CAC. That was the biggest single reason.

I did not personally do the setup. From what I remember, it took a couple of weeks for the security lead to do the work. That's not out of the question or a surprise with a security product, because just getting it operating usually takes a little bit, then getting it fine tuned takes a whole another round of work.

We looked at about a half a dozen, and this one came out to be the best one. We filtered down.

What other advice do I have?

I would say, test it out in your environment, make sure it works out well. If it configures well, and then, assuming it works out fine, you're in good shape.

More Symantec Privileged Access Manager reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, CyberArk, BeyondTrust and others in Privileged Access Management (PAM). Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.