Symantec Privileged Access Manager Review

We found the architecture to be scalable and very resilient. However, make sure the roadmap is responsive going forward.

Video Review:

How has it helped my organization?

The key benefits are we improve our governance. We ensure we can build more trust in the way we run and operate our environment, and most of all is the accountability. Where things do go wrong from time to time, we are in a good position to ensure that we can recover quickly.

What is most valuable?

One of the key things for us about the product is around its simplicity. Being able to put in the technology that allows the business to remove complexity and also allow the security improvements. This is high on our agenda.

What needs improvement?

As with most things CA, once we are bringing more technology into the portfolio and being able to collapse those products into a much more integrated way, that will definitely come over the time.

In terms of improvement, keep listening to customers and their challenges and make sure the roadmap is very responsive. It is all about being agile, so we need to make sure the product is very easy to work with. It does not constrain us further down the road.

At the moment, we are going through several evaluations. We found that the architecture is scalable and very resilient. In terms of scaling up, it has yet to be proven, but so far, so good.

We have worked with CA before, so we understand that each engagement is slightly different. One thing we do make sure is we always do things like test runs as part of any onboarding of a system. This would be no different if we go down this path in the future.

What other advice do I have?

It is fairly mature in the world of what it have known as a vault. When you look in a wider context of how to bring it into an organization, it is not necessarily just the technology side. I would rate it from the technology side between a seven and an eight. Actually, how it becomes too much of an adopted technology in a much more wider industry, they are still around about a five to six, but it has to do with the vendor across the industry.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: It is about really understanding what the security challenges are in the industry, but also being able to align with specific use cases each organization is going to deal with. You have a generic capability that we can take off the shelf, but we should be able to customize when you need it. Having that right balance is really important. I think from my of view, CA has started to move in that direction more. I would like to see more of that.

I think like most evaluations, it takes a lot of time and effort. We do look at things around where the history of the technology, where it's born out of, where they are currently going, and the direction they are going. Also, in terms of how well they are going to integrate into the wider portfolio. Evaluations are not just about features and functions of this specific product, but it is taking that holistic view around what else we can get out of it in the next three to five years. It is really important for us to have that clear roadmap and one that we believe in and trust.

More Symantec Privileged Access Manager reviews from users