Symantec Privileged Access Manager Review

Stability is solid as a rock

Video Review:

What is most valuable?

I have been in the security business for almost 30 years. We have never had a solution in place where we could really manage and control privileged accounts in the company. This solution really makes a big difference. We started rolling it out for our Linux base. It has been invaluable to us already, and it has only been a year.

What needs improvement?

We are a multiplatform shop, so we have Windows, Linux, mainframe. The mainframe piece of it is coming along, but we would like to see a little bit more integration with the non-CA mainframe component, such as RACF. That is what we use, but they have more features which are coming out in the next month or so, which is a huge. They are listening to their customers. I think that is great, but they need to do a little bit more on the mainframe side.

Less than one year.

Solid as a rock. It is a hardened appliance. We went with that version versus the virtual, and we set it up in less than half a day, and have had no problems since. It has been running fine.

Based on the purchase that we made, we bought an awful lot of appliances. We are using only a small portion of it right now, because it can handle so much volume. We know we can scale up with what we have, and we probably will not need to buy any further appliances down the road. So, that is huge.

It is very easy to set up the initial piece. We even did it without CA on-site for the first day. We got it up and running, then they came in and helped us tweak it and make it a little bit more efficient. However, setting it up out of the box, it was a no-brainer. It was very quick.

What other advice do I have?

Right out of the box, right now, I would say it is a solid eight. I think 10 is doable, and they are very close. We are still only a year out. We have only really done one platform, so I am kind of saving the nine and 10 for once we are fully deployed.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Support is a big deal. Reputation is great, but the support is what we use most. After the sale is over and the initial deployment is done, we need to work with support, and if support is not strong, then that hurts us. We can't get the product to be what we want it to be.

More Symantec Privileged Access Manager reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, CyberArk, BeyondTrust and others in Privileged Access Management (PAM). Updated: August 2021.
534,226 professionals have used our research since 2012.