Symantec Secure Web Gateway Review

Good website blocking and SSL interception capability, but the interface needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use this product on all of the traffic that is going outside of the organization. It is used for the blocking of websites, as well as SSL interception and authentication for HTTP and HTTPS requests.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the website blocking capability and SSL interception.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be made more user-friendly. As it is, we have trouble when we want to do certain operations, such as choosing when and what we want to block or allow. For example, we don't want to block WhatsApp, but we do want to block uploads. This means that we have to enter some codes. It's not like you can just drag and drop, as we have seen in other security solutions.

Another example is on the main page. When you're logged into the device using HTTPS, you still have to go to another link to access the policy manager. When you are redirected to another function, it loads very slowly.

We have been working with the Symantec Secure Web Gateway for one year.

Stability-wise it is okay.

Although we have not had specific problems with scalability, it could be more straightforward in terms of administration. I would rate the scalability a seven out of ten and I think that it is an area that could be improved.

There are three or four people in the company who operate this device administratively, and the traffic for all of the users go through it.

I have not personally been in touch with technical support. One of my colleagues has spoken with them, but our support is with a partner and not Symantec directly.

I was not on the team when it was deployed but my understanding is that the initial setup was straightforward.

There is an additional charge for advanced security features.

We are planning to replace Symantec with another product, so we are currently in the process of evaluating others.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to check the market because traditional proxy servers are becoming a thing of the past. Most web security servers are already in the cloud so I think that the normal flow of web traffic will not be examined internally. Also, for remote users, I think that it is better to use virtual, cloud-based platforms.

Overall, this product is okay and it does that job that it is supposed to do. At the same time, I think that other products that have comparative features and are more user-friendly. They are outdated when it comes to presentation.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Symantec Secure Web Gateway reviews from users
...who compared it with McAfee Web Protection
Learn what your peers think about Symantec Secure Web Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,534 professionals have used our research since 2012.