Symantec Siteminder Review

Provides centralized and secure policy management on a large scale

What is our primary use case?

We use Siteminder to protect our portal site subscribers. In our case, this refers to people who have dental insurance.

We're a dental insurance company and we've got millions of subscribers.

We have thousands of dentists. We have millions of subscribers who use our dental insurance. There are a couple hundred thousand providers (dentists) in the network.

How has it helped my organization?

SSO affords us the opportunity to have a federated connection between our members, groups, and companies.

We have a trusting partnership with everyone involved. This solution helps us in that aspect. In summary, it protects our applications, relating to benefits and eligibility, etc.

It gives providers (or dentists, in our case) the ability to transpose across the different Delta Dentals without having to authenticate more than once. With Siteminder, We don't have to log into every site with a different user name and password — It's one identity for all sites.

What needs improvement?

Some of the new protocols, like OAuth 2.0, could be improved.

It would be nice to see a better cloud-based solution that's both easy and accessible for all organizations.

I have been using Siteminder since 2011.

Symantec Siteminder Is both scalable and stable. If you need to add more groups of members, it's just a matter of adding another web agent. It's very scalable.

I work with the technical support guys all of the time. They are excellent.

Since I've been doing it for years, it's hard for me to say it was complex. You have to set up the realms, domains, ACOs, access control, configure the objects, and set up the databases. Speaking as a technical person, I think it could be a little more simplistic, but on a technical level, it's about even with the other solutions available.

Symantec Siteminder is expensive; they could definitely do better on the price.

What other advice do I have?

If you're thinking about implementing this solution, make sure you have the proper infrastructure. Also, try to negotiate the cost.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Symantec Siteminder a rating of eight. If they fixed some of the issues I mentioned, I would give them a higher rating. There's a lot of players out there that are only doing half of what Siteminder does, but they do it with the more advanced protocols.

Version 12.8
More Symantec Siteminder reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Auth0 and others in Single Sign-On (SSO). Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.