Symantec Siteminder Review

Multiple users with multiple applications can be authenticated in a single location. It's a stable, durable product.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable features are handling user authentication and integration with the other applications within the suite, like Single Sign-On.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

I really can't answer this right now. We have so many other products that serve our needs. There are other vendors that satisfy some of our requirements, so I'm not exactly sure what CA would be able to provide us with.

For the most part, SSO is very stable. Since deployment, it's been very stable for us. We do very regular metrics on availability and we're in the high, high 90s, 99% I think, so it's a very stable, durable product.

I think there are some drawbacks to the scalability. At a recent conference, we heard that it's going to be a lot easier to scale for larger companies. That's going to be good in the future.

Sometimes technical support is slow to respond, and that’s typical. Normally, the first response is, "send us your logs", so they can review our environment. There are specific people assigned to our account, so they know what our environment is like, but they still want to have the log so they can look at it. Sometimes that slows the process of problem resolution.

This decision was made before my time. I came in when the decision was made to go with CA for identity management. Our company was going through a transition of ownership and all the decisions were made at the time. That was about 7 or 8 years ago.

I came 2 or 3 months after the initial setup, so I wasn't part of that. We had a third-party company help us with our development and deployment, so they pretty much took the ball and ran with it. I don't know how complex it was for them. When they presented it to us at deployment time, we were ready to go.

We were looking for anything that would have satisfied our requirements.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you know who your support staff is, who your vendor representatives are for your account and really get to know them. Give them the requirements that you need and make sure that they're following through. Build good rapport with them. That way they can help you determine what you need to do and feel free in giving different types of suggestions.

When selecting a vendor, we look for:

• responsiveness
  • technical support of the product
  • accessibility of the technical support teams
  • product knowledge
  • ability to train their customers on their product
More Symantec Siteminder reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Auth0 and others in Single Sign-On (SSO). Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.