Symantec Siteminder Review

It integrates with third-party components and platforms. We use it for SSO across internet-facing applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the flexibility of this product to integrate with any third-party components and platforms. Support for those is a really interesting feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a decent solution. We have been using it for our SSO API stuff. We also use it for implementing single sign-on across internet-facing applications.

What needs improvement?

One of the features that needs improvement is the capability of implementing single sign-on in cloud. As a client-server model, we depend on the IP addresses that break when we move into cloud, so more of a REST API approach is needed.

There are still areas in this product that need to be improved, as in every other product.

The newer releases are quite stable. We do come across some issues, but the release cycles are good and quite impressive.

Scalability is decent. We have been using it for a long time and we don't have any issues with the scalability part of it. It is quite scalable.

The technical support level varies from average to medium. We would like them to improve parts of their technical support so as to provide quicker and better solutions.

I wouldn’t blame the technical support team, as they need support from the engineers. There is need to provide more training to the technical staff in regards to the latest features.

We were using some other tool previously. At one point, a requirement came up for a more stable and enterprise-wide solution, so we decided to invest in the CA tool.

The setup was complex because we customized the entire implementation process. Although, I doubt any other customer would use it in a similar way.

I was not part of the discussion for shortlisting other vendors but I am aware that our company did perform some POCs and narrowed it down to CA SiteMinder.

What other advice do I have?

It is a decent solution. CA is focusing on improving the stability of this product and their future roadmap looks quite promising as well. Companies should invest in this product and should think of it as a competitor.

When selecting a vendor, we focus more on the technology standpoint; how flexible the product is; how much customization we can do; the support availability.

More Symantec Siteminder reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Auth0 and others in Single Sign-On (SSO). Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.