Symantec Siteminder Review

Stable, scalable, integrates well with Active Directory, but needs to be more user friendly

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is a single sign-on to gain access to users and servers.

The security from the logistics team has required us to have a single sign-on solution. We implemented several single sign-on servers and we integrated them into one. The users would use it as a jump server. They would connect to it and from there, they would access the main server.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration with the Active Directory.

What needs improvement?

To add more value to this solution it needs to be more user-friendly. This is what is really needed in the next release of this product.

I have been using this solution for two years. My experience with this solution is as an end-user.

The stability is fine, we have not had any issues.

This solution is scalable.

We have more than 100 users who are made up of engineers and administrators.

I have not been in touch with technical support.

Previously, I used Arcon as a bridge to build access management. Arcon is different from CA SSO single sign-on.

I changed jobs and in this new location, Arcon was deployed.

The initial setup was not a problem. I would rate the difficulty a seven out of ten.

We have a large network with several servers and it took more than six months for the initial implementation.

We had a team of three engineers to deploy this solution on-premises. They were responsible for the administration of the single sign-on.

We implemented this solution with the help of one of the partners.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody considering this solution is to always create their use cases so that they can do a complete and thorough POC before purchasing this solution.

Do not force the implementation of these types of solutions. It was forced by the management without proper planning. I have learned that proper planning works best for these types of solutions because you have to integrate with different components of the network, in order to be successful.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Symantec Siteminder reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, IBM, Auth0 and others in Single Sign-On (SSO). Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.