Symantec VIP Access Manager Review

Prevents unauthorized logins, even when passwords have been compromised or shared.

What is most valuable?

Strong user authentication with easy integration to many applications using a free app, Mobile Credential, that lowers hardware costs.

How has it helped my organization?

Most of our customers reported fraud reduction and PCI compliance support.

What needs improvement?

They are adding QR code to its functionalities making the solution more complete.

A good feature that would be interesting to have is a credential profile with access time control. Some of our customers would be happy with that.

But a great improvement would be if they change the token number for a kind of technology by facial recognition.

Another thing is, if the Symantec VIP had a hardware appliance with a risk engine exclusive for IB, maybe they could create a new business opportunity.

With these three features my rating would be 5/5. That’s for sure!

I have been installing this solution for about three years.

It’s a cloud-based authentication service and I never get complaints about stability.

No complains about scalability. We can make quick changes in the user base and easily provision new VIP features.

In my opinion, for this solution, the technical support is not so expert when we talk about integration using the API. I rate them 3.5/5.

As a consultant, I am familiar with RSA SecurID. But, due to the need for tokens hardware, the solution turns out to be much more expensive than the VIP.

Quickly and easily deployed in enterprise infrastructure.

Licensing is per-user and has a great price if compared to RSA SecurID.

I evaluated RSA SecurID.

What other advice do I have?

VIP is a strong, cloud-based authentication service that enables organizations to secure access to networks and applications to prevent unauthorized logins to company resources, even when passwords have been compromised or shared.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are integration partners.