Symmetrix Remote Data Facility Review
A bigger benefit if used in an active, multi-site configuration. There are less expensive methods for a DR scenario.

Valuable Features

The ability to control functionality with a command line utility for ease of scripting.

Improvements to My Organization

SRDF has served as a robust method of providing a golden, point-in-time copy of our most critical data.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see command line status queries give higher level, more meaningful results; i.e. data synchronizing, completely synced or split and write ready.

Use of Solution

I have used iterations of SRDF for approximately 10 years.

There were missteps made in the order in which job steps had to occur for the integrity of data when using scripts.

I do not recall any issues with SRDF stability.

In the early days of SRDF, licensing was on an disk array by disk array basis. The license model has changed, so scalability is now limited to the amount you've purchased in the array.

Customer service for this product was top notch.

Technical support has always been attentive and helpful. We found they also have a thorough knowledgebase.

Our team made the decision to make a change to IBM's XIV asynchronous data replication. The switch was made due to cost.

Initial setup was a bit complex. Tools focused on a deep-level knowledge of configuration.

Implementation Team

We had a vendor team help with the initial setup. Their expertise did not dive past the disk array technology, so we had to provide the proper configuration from our host side.

ROI

Our ROI was minimal, because we use it for a cold, disaster recovery method.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Cost was rolled into a much bigger purchase. Ongoing cost was not that detailed.

Other Solutions Considered

Log shipping methods by Oracle and Sequel.