Symmetrix Remote Data Facility Review

RPO and RTO have improved drastically

What is our primary use case?

SRDF is used our disaster recovery service by using replication from our production site to our DR site. We have two different production and DR site pairs in two different global geographies. One use case has got SRDF asynchronous replication and another has SRDF synchronous replication primarily due to business requirements and the location of the DR sites. At the DR sites, snapshots of replicated volumes are created and provisioned to hosts facilitating periodic DR tests.

How has it helped my organization?

RPO and RTO have improved drastically with the SRDF solution which has replaced a tape based recovery solution. Before the SRDF solution was deployed, backup tapes were shipped to the DR site and recovery was made from tapes during DR tests. This was largely error prone because the applications were not able to obtain a consistent point of recovery and RTO was very longer. This didn't fit our business requirements for disaster recovery. The SRDF solution has improved our disaster recovery RPO to near zero or less than 15 minutes with RTO getting drastically reduced.

What is most valuable?

SRDF has a lot of features that are valuable for us in the enhanced DR solution. The feature of taking snapshots from the replicated volumes has allowed us to use them for DR testing to validate the application consistent point of recovery. Device groups and replication groups help us to group the replicated volumes by DR recovery tier. Integration with VMware SRM vis Dell EMC SRDF SRA adapter has enabled us to perform automated recovery testing. The rest of the open systems platforms have automated the recovery process.

What needs improvement?

The main pain point that we experienced is during device creation. For every newly provisioned volume, creating replication relationships between production and DR site, creating snapshots for third copy at DR site, and configuring them in appropriate replication groups and device groups means that there are lot of steps involved and a lot of room for error. There has to be a lot of checks and balances which need to be incorporated to make sure that the solution is set up correctly.

More than eight years.

Could be better.

Our tape recovery solution was replaced by SRDF.

Straightforward.

Vendor team and in-house resources

Not applicable.