Tableau Review

Good data flow and data management; a lot of training required to master the features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Tableau is for reporting purposes for our clients. We provide analytics for clients, giving them the ability to build reports. We also have our own product which provides the data analytics platform. I'm a product manager and we are a customer of Tableau.

What is most valuable?

I like the data flow and the ability to easily manage the data. The solution also has good building capabilities. When we apply filters, we tend to order different reports and it becomes easier for us.

What needs improvement?

The solution requires a lot of user training before reports can be created. That can make things difficult and require us to have Tableau specialists. It's difficult for a newbie to start developing reports.

Tableau queries and analytics, as well as development could be improved. The solution could also include an option to incorporate more open source libraries. I know Tableau has this closed loop so they might not want to provide that but if they did have integration capabilities with open-source libraries, I think that would be great.

I've been using this solution for three and a half years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

We don't generally need technical support although the clients do but I'm not sure if they provide good service. There are Tableau videos we can use if necessary. Whenever we need some solution we go to Tableau training and go through the videos.

People who have always used Tableau want to stick with it but those just getting into the field will look at options that can provide almost a similar functionality with the main difference being the cost. It's a trade-off between the different features offered on the solutions in this market and the cost.

The initial setup is straightforward and can probably be completed in two or three hours. The client is responsible for maintaining their own solution, we only implement. If they want to upgrade the platform, that's their responsibility.

Licensing is charged per user, I believe. Even if they're just providing you a minimum specification there will be added costs if you need more processing power. If you want to connect to the data sources, then that needs to be included in the complete solution. It's an adaptive cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend anyone looking at this solution to check the validity of the business case. If you don't have a very expensive business case and you're going to be on the data processing side, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the product. But if you have standard templates and can just put in the data, export the defaults and send it, then it's a good solution because there's no complexity.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Private Cloud