Tableau Review

Flexible and easy to learn but the support and scalability for large amounts of data needs improvement

What is most valuable?

It's a very good, flexible product, and it's easy to learn.

It's a new technology, so it's easy to get somebody up and running.

What needs improvement?

Scalability for large amounts of data needs improvement, as well as its performance.

From a scheduling perspective, if there is a sync up of the desktop dashboard into the server that we can publish as a web version, in an accessible way, that publishing scales and keeps on executing for hours. This can go on for eight to nine hours, but you have no indicator, you don't even see that it is processing. For example, there is no spinning wheel and all I see is a black screen.

The interface can be improved, in part because there is no indication that something is running or that it's processing. I would like to have some kind of indication that there is something processing on the interface.

Technical support could be faster or if they have any limitations of the product, they should openly communicate it. They could also just tell you that this product is intended for small volumes of data and may even suggest another solution.

We have been using the latest version of Tableau for several years.

As far as using low volumes of data, it is stable. If the data is too large then it becomes a problem.

From a data perspective, the problem with scalability is after a point in time, the data becomes very large. For example, there is a way to sync the data and bring it to the desktop, and if the data is going to be seven GB or more, that is a huge amount of data and creates a problem with Tableau.

Based on our customers, we have different licenses. We have approximately 15 different customers.

Technical support is fine, but it could be better. When we reached out with the large amounts of data, we were not provided with the correct solution.

We started with Tableau.

The initial setup was straightforward. There were no issues.

It's a very simple installation, it doesn't take a lot of time to deploy.

We did not use a consultant, we implemented ourselves.

We have a single person team for installation and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

We plan to continue using this solution and I can recommend it.

It's a good product but large volume data is an issue. Maybe people will have to work around it to make it smaller. It requires splitting up the data into smaller data files or we need to find another way from Tableau itself. They may have another scalable product, that can be used for large amounts of data.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Tableau reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft BI
Learn what your peers think about Tableau. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.