Tableau Review

Amazing dynamic parameters, numerous customization, and superior customer service

What is our primary use case?

I am into a new healthcare domain. I publish my dashboards and my audience are the providers.

How has it helped my organization?

I am not well-versed with the latest 2020 version of the solution, but I have heard that it has made parameters dynamic. For example, when we are publishing the dashboards, if we want the dashboards to be set as a default as the previous month, we do not have to modify it again and again. It can republish month after month using an assigned default. This will save me time from not having to redo the dashboard all the time. The dynamic parameters are amazing in Tableau, it has been improved in the latest version.

What is most valuable?

I love the customization skills that Tableau has, it is not restricted to what is built-in already. We have many customizable options and they come out to be very fancy and beautiful charts. Also, I like the extract feature that makes my dashboard run faster. The low-level security that Tableau handles works well. This solution is user-friendly and suitable for any type of user. Lastly, the dashboard and reports are very user-friendly to navigate.

What needs improvement?

This solution has some features which really needs to be improved. For example, the sorting feature, If we compare it with ClixSense, ClixSense has a direct sorting feature available to users. Wherein Tableau, we have to go and create a parameter, make it dynamic, force users to click somewhere else on the filter, and then maybe you can sort it. Tableau is really new for sorting features.

With performance tuning, it generates a pretty complex query when it is not required. We do not actually write 100 lines of code for a single KPI indicator. What we do is run the performance tuning model which will give 100-200 lines of code for a single KPI. That is not exactly an optimized query. While running performance tuning on the query, it should be pretty optimized, but it does not seem to be doing this.

I have been using the solution for three years.

The solution is fairly stable. However, the issue is when it is time to upgrade. Upgrading a Tableau server is too tedious compared to other tools where normally you just have an update EXE file you run and it is done. This is not the case with Tableau, it requires the dashboard to go down for an hour and then we have to republish all the dashboards again.

The solution is scalable without a doubt.

This solution has the best technical support compared to any tool.

The solution is expensive but it depends on the customer's needs which will determine the cost of the licensing. How much they require and what package they want.

We have evaluated ClixSense in the past. With ClixSense, it is not as customizable as this solution, I would even say restricted. For each and every customization and format change, the basic stuff, it asks us to buy another extension. We will not be doing that.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has broadened my VA exposure and it has allowed me to do things differently with respect to VA concepts and visualization. I have a great takeaway from my experience with the solution.

I would recommend Tableau because of the amazing dashboards that are appealing and that also gives us the ability to create with far better customizations.

I rate Tableau an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
More Tableau reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft BI
Learn what your peers think about Tableau. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.