Tableau Review

A flexible and easy-to-learn solution with excellent visualizations, good design, and a community version

What is our primary use case?

I have used Tableau in the past with other clients for enterprise-level data visualization for financial and manufacturing industries. I have also used it for documents dashboard and different kinds of KPI visualizations. I'm currently using it for academic purposes. In my current organization, we are not using Tableau. We are using Power BI.

What is most valuable?

Tableau is very flexible and easy to learn. It has drag-and-drop function analytics, and its design is very good. It is a very good tool, and it basically brings life into data with good design. We have been creating a lot of interactive visualizations and dashboards.

It has a public version. There are public communities from where you can get a lot of examples for practice.

What needs improvement?

Its price should be improved. Its price is much higher than Power BI and QlikView.

Programming is not easy on Tableau. For programming, you have to have a separate model. They should include programming directly on the web portion of the Tableau desktop so that people can write Python or JavaScript code for customizations instead of using a different model. Currently, Tableau Data Prep is a separate application that you have to purchase. It would be helpful if they can include Tableau Data Prep and programming languages such as R, Python in the next version.

Tableau Public, which is a community version, doesn't allow you to save your work on your desktop. They should allow it. Currently, you can only upload it in the community.

I've been using Tableau for almost eight or nine years.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. They have a cloud version, and you can implement it on the cloud.

Their technical support is good. Our own IT can also manage it, and I can also get support from Tableau.

We also use Dimension, Power BI, and QlikView. Domo is also there, but Domo is a little bit more expensive. Microstrategy is also a little bit more expensive, and it has different media storage.

Its installation is straightforward. It is a one-click installation.

I installed it myself on my laptop.

Its price is higher than Power BI and QlikView. Tableau costs around $70 per user per month, whereas Power BI is around $8 to $9. QlikView is around $30.

Tableau has various prices for various models such as Creator, Designer.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution if you do not have budget constraints. It is a very good solution with excellent visualizations. I plan to keep using it for academic purposes.

I would rate Tableau a nine out of ten.

More Tableau reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft BI
Learn what your peers think about Tableau. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.