Tableau Review

Compared to OBIEE, Tableau is more visually appealing and has less performance issues.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use, In-Memory data storage, native connectors for different DB’s and many more

How has it helped my organization?

We're a service based company and we most of the times get adhoc requests for implementing reporting. Since Tableau helps us create rich and meaningful visualizations in a short time frame, it’s helping us improve our business.

What needs improvement?

ETL functionality to be incorporated and Server to be improved in terms of including more features in Web Authoring, Quick steps in replacing data source connection credentials etc.

I’ve been using Tableau for 2.5 years.

• Tableau Desktop: No
  • Tableau Server: Not meeting the hardware requirements
  • Otherwise, deployment is smooth.

No. Just that hardware requirements need to be met.

Excellent

Excellent

I’ve used OBIEE. When compared to Tableau, visualizations are not visually appealing and I also had performance issues.

Straight Forward in both Tableau Desktop and Server.

In-house team

I cannot say a specific number, but lots of projects are using Tableau for their reporting solutions.

We’d bought 10 licenses initially and cost was discounted by $100 per license. No day-to-day cost but, we’ll need to pay maintenance of $500 per year.

Qlikview, Pentaho.

What other advice do I have?

People should use Tableau because it is fast and visualizations will be rich.They can reduce the resource cost as reports can be done by a small team and does not require too much technical expertise.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Tableau partner