Tableau Review
The ability to quickly pull together data sources into a meaningful display is valuable but there are stability problems on iMacs.

Valuable Features

For both Tableau Public and Desktop, the ability to quickly pull together data sources into a meaningful (visual) display. Also, the intuitive design and ability to work with increasingly large and real-time data sets.

Improvements to My Organization

Mostly, I focus on the management and operational reporting aspects, enabling businesses to make better decisions at all levels through improved access to data.

Room for Improvement

It's hard to say right now but I can see challenges ahead as the market share and common standards become an issue - if the goal is to replace Excel, then it will be a winner-takes-all type of battle. For clients this may make them delay purchase and adoption.

Use of Solution

I've used it for around eight months. My hands-on experience is mainly Tableau Public and Desktop trials. Project experience working with people who are expert in Tableau and Alteryx.

Tableau Public crashes on opening on my iMac. So far the web-based tools have worked very well.

Not encountered any so far, but this appears to be one of their big selling points.

So far, very proactive. They have a lot of good training resources available online and very fast response from sales team.

It's been very good so far.

At my last company I tried to encourage the IT team to adopt these tools, but they were very focused on developing everything themselves. This turned out to be quite an expensive error and I would encourage companies - even those with their own in-house analyst teams - to consider using these tools as a way to quickly build models. They should only consider building models themselves if they know they have a product and solution that justifies it.

So far it's been very easy but I think a large enterprise would need to consider widespread adoption quite carefully so it aligns to the overall IT road-map.

Implementation Team

We used a vendor team. What was useful about this in the examples I’ve seen is their ability to demonstrate "quick wins” to get support for wider deployment, and then to train key staff around the organisation to increase the pace of adoption.

ROI

I’d expect it to pay back within a year if the avoided costs of existing IT platform upgrades is included.

Other Solutions Considered

We are currently in the evaluation process.

Other Advice

Get some help to evaluate the options and identify the opportunities, find a test case to demonstrate the benefits, engage the IT team early.

1 visitor found this review helpful

2 Comments

it_user189564Vendor

You should look at Qlik Sense too.....http://www.qlik.com/us/explore/products/sense
Also, you only pay licenses on the users not the server software with Qlik Sense.

08 April 15