Tableau Review

Access to data from Oracle and managing large data volumes is easier than Excel.

Valuable Features

• Visualization
  • Data capacity

Where I'm working, we have many reports developed in Microsoft Excel to present results about the business. However, when we need to work a large volume of data, they are developed in Tableau because access to data from Oracle and managing large data volumes is easier than Excel. All the reports that we develop using Tableau are complimented by our directors, as the information is visualized well.

Improvements to My Organization

When we need to work with a large volume of data, we can create an extraction, validate data easily, and then present it to our users using Tableau Server or Tableau Reader.

Room for Improvement

I have difficulty working with many filters on the dashboards, and I'd like to see more options in the "Histories" section. QlikView makes better use of the dashboard filters.

Use of Solution

We've used it for two years.

In some departments we chose to install Tableau Reader, but it's necessary to create a ticket to update the software for each new version. This process is not good as it disrupts our day-to-day functions.

I work with 4GB RAM and rarely I have a problem with it. My OS is 32 bits.

We've had no issues with scalability.

I always take support from Tableau's forums and communities.

Other Solutions Considered

We also looked at QlikView.

Other Advice

It's a great solution to present data, and our directors love to work with it.

9.2.4
More Tableau reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft BI
Learn what your peers think about Tableau. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2020.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
7 Comments

author avatarit_user150738 (User at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees)

You can use power view with power pivot in order to work with large volume data.

author avatarDiego Hidalgo
Top 5LeaderboardReal User

Tableau works with a large volume of data because , it use BIZQL, this is a private query languaje for data, this algoritms are similar to Columnar NoSql

Top ReviewerReal User

I agree with the filter functionality needing improvement. Having something similar to the 'Current Selections' box in QlikView would be very helpful for users, as I've found they can sometimes get confused as to what they have filtered down to (using Quick Filters or Keep/Exclude) on a dashboard we've published . Their only option is to 'Revert All' and start from the beginning again.

I'm also curious to know what size of data you are considering to be large volumes. Is this Millions of rows? Tens of Millions?

author avatarit_user400395 (Planning Specialist at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees)

I've already worked with 5 million in my computer (Configuration's Computer specified above) and worked well. I know that SO 64 bits can be better to use more RAM memory.

Top ReviewerReal User

Ah, okay, so not massive, but more than a lot of individuals are working with! I do know that table width also plays a large part in Tableau's performance, as does any sort of data blending.

author avatarit_user200571 (Marketing ⎥⎥ Business Development Predictive Analytics)

For small volumes (ie few millions lines), any tool will do. It changes when you're dealing with larger volumes (hundreds of millions of lines and up), or when you want to do really rich discovery. It is then that associative technology such as Qlik will show its strengths.

Top ReviewerReal User

Completely agree Edwin. I currently work with both Qlikview and Tableau and the size of data is a very large factor in deciding which tool I'll use for a particular use case. Tableau generally needs some level of aggregation to perform well and that is not always an option.