Tableau Review

​It placed the power of dashboards and scorecard development in the hands of business people, so there's less dependency on developers.​

What is most valuable?

The feature we've found most valuable is Data Extract, which extracts a local copy of all required data in a columnar format store. It does in-memory processing which is lightening fast.

How has it helped my organization?

It placed the power of dashboards and scorecard development in the hands of business people, so there's less dependency on developers.

What needs improvement?

They need to make it more flexible for enterprise administration, e.g, more job scheduling flexibility, more robust permission control, and more comprehensive mapping service that is native and not dependent on a third party like Mapbox. They also need to develop more comprehensive DR and HA solutions.

I've been using it for over three years.

It's excellent for deployments and upgrades.

We have had no issues with its stability.

We have had no problems scaling it for our needs.

They have good customer service support, although they do not always solve the issues. Also, sometimes support takes too long to find the root cause or a solution to an issue.

We previously used Cognos, and Microsoft BI. We chose this due to user-friendly structure. There aren't too many components to manage and understand like in Cognos or Microsoft BI, etc.

The initial setup was straightforward -- very easy installation and upgrades cycle.

In-house - very easy to implement in-house, just follow the installation and upgrade guide check-lists and first try on test environment before doing a production installation or upgrade.

ROI for Tableau when compared to other BI tools we have is excellent.

Tableau has both core-based licencing (for higher number of consumers scenario) and subscription based licences (for limited users scenario) - chose appropriate licencing based on your estimate of number of users.

What other advice do I have?

It's very user friendly and its self-service approach helps business users to develop dashboards in no time. The learning curve is very short - lot of learning resources available.

Still need to do some catch-up on enterprise administration and Mobile friendly reporting e.g Android App is not yet available - expected to be released 10.0.

Tableau releases frequent major releases three to four versions per year, and monthly patch fix releases, so plan a strategy that you want to follow. We are generally one to two releases behind so we can keep up with them, and at the same time leveraging all new exciting features the release.

More Tableau reviews from users