Itmwdql1 400x400

Tableau Review
It allows users to join multiple source files and create visualizations using fields from each of them.

Valuable Features:

Tableau Desktop is equipped with so many valuable features that it is difficult to know where to begin. The functionality that allows users to join multiple source files and create visualizations using the fields from each of the joined source files is certainly nice to have. While the list of graphs and charts on the “Show Me” menu is impressive, one can do so much more with Tableau. With a little imagination and ingenuity, customized visualizations can be created easily and quickly.

Improvements to My Organization:

It is far easier for my audience to grasp the key takeaways of an analysis by viewing a data visualization than by reviewing a spreadsheet. Tableau Desktop simplifies communication between analytics and senior executives.

Room for Improvement:

I have not yet transitioned to Tableau Desktop 10.0, but I understand version 10.0 has functionality that allow users to perform cluster analysis. I am sure that I will be using this functionality frequently going forward.

Use of Solution:

I was introduced to Tableau as part of an online course on data visualization offered by the University of California, Irvine. Although I have been using Tableau for less than a year, I use the product frequently.

Deployment Issues:

I have not encountered any deployment, stability or scalability issues.

Tableau provides an enormous number of online resources that are clear, concise, and very thorough. You are almost guaranteed to find the answers you are seeking within this online documentation.

Previous Solutions:

We did evaluate a number of other BI solutions before selecting Tableau Desktop. In the end, we chose Tableau Desktop because of its flexibility and superior graphics. We are a fairly small organization. While we do not currently have a data warehouse, we are planning to build a BIDW within the next three years. Once the data warehouse has been rolled out, we will transition from Tableau Desktop to Tableau Server. In the era of big data, Tableau Server offers a number of attractive features including the built-in interface with both the R Project and various open source big data applications.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup for Tableau Desktop is about as straightforward as possible. Once you download the software to your computer, you are ready to use the application.

0 Comments