Itmwdql1 400x400

Tableau Review
We evaluated other solutions, and selected Tableau mainly because of the licensing costs.

Valuable Features:

Self-service.

Improvements to My Organization:

Talking about self-service, now we can provide information enterprise-wide. Before Tableau, about 15% of the organization had access to information; now with Tableau, about 80% of the organization have access to our data warehouse, and other information sources such as Excel and SQL Server databases.

Room for Improvement:

Well at this point, we are in the process of implementing the in-memory feature for our costing process. We need to have online costing information. We think if we have more parameters or tools to customize this feature, we can improve the performance in the processes that generate and load the information.

Use of Solution:

I have used it for two years.

Stability Issues:

We can tell you that Tableau 8 had issues mainly with SQL Server databases, but with Tableau 9 and above, the issues with SQL Server have been solved and now we have a very stable solution.

Our local vendor support (in México) was so bad!!! However, we have encountered in the online support a very good source of information that helps to solve our issues. In fact, we have submitted a lot of cases to the Tableau support team, with very fast responses.

Previous Solutions:

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was pretty straightforward; we only had one issue with the Active Directory configuration.

Implementation Team:

Our in-house training program consisted of two teams for one week: one team for Tableau administration, and one team for Tableau super users.

I think that it is good advice to consider a well-organised implementation program.

ROI:

I don’t have authorization to provide numbers for our organization, but I can say that Tableau is a product with great price performance.

Other Advice:

Tableau is a user-friendly product, but I think that is very important to consider a well-organised training program based on the user roles (administrators, super users, information consumers, etc.).

0 Comments