Itmwdql1 400x400

Tableau Review
It supports multiple languages well. When I develop a dashboard in English or Japanese, it can display time differently based on the language you choose.

Valuable Features:

• It's easy to connect to, and supports, a variety of datasources
  • It supports multiple languages well, which is very convenient for me. When I develop a dashboard in English or Japanese, it can display time differently based on the language you choose. For example, EN: 2010/01/01, JP: 2010年01月01日.
  • Stunning graphs, easy to drag & drop dimensions into your dashboard.
  • Compresses data well.

Improvements to My Organization:

We use it to develop dashboards for our customers; they will use these to analyze their business using BI knowledge.

Room for Improvement:

There are many things that users want Tableau to improve:
  • Multiple choice for filter selection. This is a very big shortcoming.
  • Dynamic parameters.
  • Currently, it cannot aggregate further on a measure that has been aggregated already
  • A button function for dashboards. Sometimes, we need a button to link to another dashboard.
  • Display/hide an object based on a parameter as a real function, not using tricks. You can do it using tricks, but it looks so ugly.

Use of Solution:

I have used it for about two years.

Deployment Issues:

As I mentioned above, sometimes we need to use tricks to develop dashboards, and it has stability issues.

I rate the level of customer service and technical support 8/10.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup was very easy; just "agree", "next" and "finish".

Implementation Team:

Our IT support team did it.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

No complaints. Reasonable price for professional version.

Other Solutions Considered:

I have used a variety of BI-related products:
  • QlikView: not worth trying. Not good for support (Qlik Japan); ugly charts; limited functions. It’s one strength is that it's free.
  • IBM Cognos: very scalable. You can do anything with your dashboard/report using HTML; good at all functions. However, it's only suitable for big companies, hard to maintain, and very expensive.
  • Oracle PBCS/Essbase: good for medium-sized or big enterprises with big/multi-dimensional data; supports Excel. Difficult to set up, and browser-based PBCS is so bad, you may lose your work at any time because of its corrupt JavaScript.
  • Tableau is good for small-sized companies; reasonable price. But you get what you pay for: limited functions. It's a data visualization tool, not a BI tool.

0 Comments