Tableau Review
Geo-encoding, shape content, cluster analysis, and cross-DB joins are helpful.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Tableau since 2006; 3.5 years as an employee of Tableau Software and 7 years as a trainer/consultant. The more robust features include improved geo-encoding. Shape content is a big winner, as is cluster analysis. Cross-DB joins are helpful, as well. A huge improvement is the ability to render DV to any device from phone to PC.

How has it helped my organization?

As a training organization, the subject of improving organization functions is somewhat opaque. The overall view is that we see software as a service as the big win for any client. Note well: To truly realize organizational change, top management must embrace the use of Tableau.

What needs improvement?

• 100% in the cloud.
  • Reduce the price once in the cloud.
  • Go back to emphasizing simplicity.

I have used it for 10 years.

We have not encountered any deployment issues; still fast and easy overall.

We have not encountered any stability issues. The QC process seems to improve with each major release.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

On a scale of 1 to 10, customer service is an 8. It is helpful to hear a tel call from support but not without advance notice. Also, some of the new support folks are not up to speed with more challenging subjects.

There are no 10s in real life; technical support is 8.5.

Initial setup was not complex at all.

Generally, assessing ROI is a very open-ended question. Real ROI if that significant will never be revealed. Day-to-day savings are in time savings, which are viable, to say the least.

We do studies for firms as part of our services. QLTek is still viable but more and more we are hearing about Power BI. Carolina Health Systems just adopted Power BI to replace Tableau due to server costs.

What other advice do I have?

We find that there is a new type of Tableau user emerging. These new users do not abide by the tenets of data visualization by thought leaders like Stephen Few. Hence, we created a blog for an open discussion comparing the work of the artist Jackson Pollock with this new generation. That blog is accessible below.

Note well: VIA Insights has no formal relationship with Tableau; we are completely independent.

2 visitors found this review helpful