Tableau Review

Provides Dynamic Adjustments Of Measures And Dimensions And GUI Makes It More User-Friendly

What is most valuable?

Tableau is one of the most intelligent and dynamic visualization tools I have worked with. It provides dynamic adjustments of measures and dimensions. The reason this is useful is that it gives a business user multiple dimensions of data to look through. From these you can infer interesting business operation data characteristics.

How has it helped my organization?

Operational improvements have resulted from the efficient creation of ad hoc data visualizations in a timely manner.

What needs improvement?

The key feature of Tableau that has room for improvement is its performance with structured and unstructured data. I'm not sure I would suggest that Tableau go for a hardware oriented solution for this. Nevertheless, that would not be a bad approach to enhance the product and align with current marketing trends and its competitors.

Three years.

There were few issues with the stability of the product when there were features such as built-in data processing using TDE (Tableau Data Engine).

Not a lot here. Pretty scalable.

I would rate it as between very good and excellent.

Yes, we used MicroStrategy in the past. One of the reasons for the switch was to have more ad hoc data visualization and a more user-friendly tool for business; one which involved less coding and more GUI work.

The initial setup was not so straightforward. We had minor issues installing it across the enterprise, due to diverse technology in different business units. But none were actual showstoppers.

The pricing and licensing are generally high with Tableau. I thoroughly encourage their recent initiative of going to a “Tableau as a Service” business model, which aligns well with enterprises and also small and medium sized organizations. It even works for individuals who would like to learn Tableau and its core strengths.

We did evaluate QlikView. We actually have both in place, for various reasons.

What other advice do I have?

The key point is if you would like to have faster, ad hoc and quick data visualizations, I would strongly recommend Tableau. But for enterprise-wide deployment and migration across different environments, I would say Tableau has room to improve further.