Tableau Review

Enables data analysis without coding although lack of automated usage reports is a drawback

What is most valuable?

The following features were why we picked Tableau:

1. Ease of use and integration.
  2. Analysis of data without need for coding.
  3. Gold standard intuitive, interactive, visualization experience.

How has it helped my organization?

Non tech users are able to use the self contained platform, interact with data and share findings.

What needs improvement?

1. Tableau Online does not have any way of automating the usage reports. You can download them as a PDF but have to do so manually to distribute them. There is no way to schedule these reports for business users who would like to measure users activity.
  2. While you can see how many licenses are used, there is no way to see how many licenses are available for use. You have to contact support to get this information.

We have used this solution for six months.

No, we have not experienced any downtime or stability issues as yet with Tableau Online.

No, we have not experienced any scalability issues as yet with Tableau Online.

I would rate the technical support as eight out of 10. There are some inherent issues that are related to versions that they were not able to sort out and tickets remained unresolved.

We used SSRS as our reporting solution. We switched because the deployment was archaic.

We deployed the solution using IFrame via Salesforce.com. We experienced issues while configuring SSO through SAML.

Tableau was not accepting any metadata files that were uploaded whether they were new or ones that have we had worked on in the past. It claimed they were “invalid”. We opened a support ticket to find that this was a known issue. With the help of support, the issue was resolved at the Tableau back end.

The quote is only valid for 15 days. There may be price changes (after 15 days) that might impact your cost and finance budget.

We evaluated eight vendors: Power BI, Tableau, Qlik, SAS, MicroStrategy, Domo, Sisense, and R Shiny. We compared FOSS and COTS options, assessed feature sets, vendors, and support. COTS was preferred, with Tableau edging out Power BI.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to review all the vendors and features/functionality. There are many products out there in the market today.