Tableau Review

Combines and visualizes data from many entry points and provides users with a single source of consistent and reliable information

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• Ease of setup
  • Ability to create visualizations
  • Level of interaction.

The users required no training after visualizations have been presented to them.

How has it helped my organization?

There are some areas where finding answers required asking specific individuals and searching through many emails. Tableau has allowed us to combine and visualize data from many entry points and provide users with a single source of consistent and reliable information.

What needs improvement?

While noted that the product is specifically designed for visualization, it would be the perfect tool if it had more ETL features.

My company has been researching a BI tool for the past year. We came across Tableau and have been using the public version for approximately six months.

There have not been any areas of instability, thus far. The identified areas were a result of a lack of knowledge.

Based on the analysis currently being done, the public version is sufficiently meeting our needs.

Technical support has been awesome. We met a partner based in Trinidad and they have been providing us with assistance as we need it.

This is our first visualization solution being used. Attempts were made on another platform, but setup and use of tool were a huge challenge for the team.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The team was able to follow the videos posted on the Tableau website and required no technical assistance from the Tableau team.

I am quite pleased that Tableau has now revised their pricing and licensing. The initial model was quite expensive but the current model allows you to scale up as you need to and it is far more attractive. The ability to license on a per user per month basis is now very affordable.

The team looked at Pentaho, Microsoft Power BI, and IBM Cognos. The members of the team who were exposed to aspects of the evaluation were far more receptive to Tableau than the others.

What other advice do I have?

It is very important to do an evaluation of your users who will be interacting with the tool. Their technical abilities will determine if a cumbersome tool is suitable for them. Secondly, if you do not have the technical expertise to administer a product, then it may not be the solution for you. Some of the other tools require a high dependence on the vendor for administrative purposes.