Tableau Review

​Data is easily understood at all levels of the company

What is our primary use case?

Creates data visualization for final users, then shares these visualizations throughout the entire company.

We offer Tableau as a product. As a partner, we recommend it to our customers. We use it internally to manage all our KPIs and services, so we also use it as a customer.

How has it helped my organization?

• Data is easily understood at all levels of the company.
  • Business insights are shared across various departments.
  • They allow you to quickly mount decision scenarios, and point you in the right direction of issues.

What is most valuable?

• Its ease of use and ability to convert drag and drop gestures into queries.
  • The ability to create complex calculations.
  • The completeness of things you can do.
  • It has a very nice dashboards.
  • You do not need a technical background to fulfill your business needs.

What needs improvement?

• Conditional formatting could be an interesting feature to provide to final users. It is a long-term request of our users.
  • The data preparation/blending options are very basic. They could be improved.
  • More willing to hear customer/user suggestions.

Three to five years.

No stability issues. I never had it crash my computers. The stability is awesome.

It can be achieved, but it is not what most companies focus on. You can have a huge server with core licenses. You can have a lot of users using and consuming information and dashboard use it continuously, but the thing is to still have a PC or text components, which is the weakest link in the chain.

Scalability may be good. Not awesome, but good.

Tableau's support could improve.

Partner support is very good.

In five years, I have been working with Tableau. I have used technical support only one time. They did not complete what I needed. I figured out the solution myself, but I understand this may be due to my own expertise. However, in general, our customers are very satisfied with the support.

I would rate technical support as an eight out of 10.

I used Cognos, BusinessObjects, and QlikView. I switched because of the paradigm change to self-service capabilities and ease of use.

We also have a lot projects to change previous tools. For example, we replaced six Enterprise QlikViews in six different companies which had been working there for six or seven years.

The initial setup is very simple and the deployment is easy. Both tools (Desktop & Server) have a very simple wizard.

The typical installation from Mexico to Argentina, which is the market that I serve, is very easy to perform.

Both. Expertise on this tool is very high throughout all of the Tableau ecosystem.

It is very high, but it requires a data preparation/blending tool.

Tableau's licensing is pretty straightforward and simple.

However, Tableau is a company that does not respect partners. Tableau is a company that overlaps and steps onto the partners' total deal. We had a very good example in Panama with one of the biggest companies in the country. They stepped in without notice, without having a partner laid out. The company turned down the deal and took it another year and a half to resurface. Finally, when it was close to closing, Tableau stepped in and messed it up. That is a common behavior of the boss company in Latin America.

Power BI, which was in its early stages at the time, but now sprawling across Latin America. Yellowfin, who we are a partner with now. We are now looking at Birst.

We chose Tableau because they were the whole package at the time.

What other advice do I have?

Do not hesitate to implement Tableau. You will not regret it if you are looking for a visualization and discovery tool.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Customers' experiences
  • Transparency
  • The financial stability of the company.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Tableau Partner.