Tableau Review

An excellent tool for data capture, processing, and visualization

What is our primary use case?

I knew this service from my academic field and was able to transfer it to the workplace. It is an excellent tool for data capture, processing, and visualization. The application of statistical models on the data displayed is very useful, and it is not complicated.

How has it helped my organization?

Tasks which may have involved days, even weeks, I was able to solve them in a very short period of time, thanks to Tableau.

Information which was housed in a database, used for exploring, ordering and applying statistical models for analysis can be complex when involving different software. However, it was easy to do using Tableau exclusively.

What is most valuable?

What hooked me to this service is the combination of very pleasant, interactive graphical visualizations along with the application of advanced statistical models (in some cases).

What needs improvement?

The use of this service in the desktop version is annoying due to the constant updates which lead to reinstalling the application. If they could give support with updates on the same downloaded version, it would be great.

I like the payment model. For the people who need to create, they buy their licenses. Everyone else can use the free Tableau Viewer. This is much better than some of the competitor products, which require full licences for everything.

I have trialed a number of different tools similar to Tableau. There seems to be a whole group of them. However, I found that Tableau was by far the easiest to use. Within about 20 minutes of playing around I was able to quickly make fantastic looking, incredibly useful charts that I struggled to make in Excel or other data discovery tools.

What other advice do I have?

I have only trialed it. I could not get this product signed off due to budget constraints, not related to Tableau (which is far from the most expensive out there).

Recommendations to others considering the product: Trial it and play around with it. You will be amazed at how quickly you pick it up.