Talend Data Management Platform Review

You can create a separate file for your business users to review

What is our primary use case?

Talend is an ETL solution. It is great for moving data from source to target and has great error-handling and capturing techniques. Talend is easily becoming more recognized within the ETL space. I am seeing more and more companies branching out from the Oracles of the world since cloud was introduced. Cloud has seemed to even the playing field a bit. If you are looking for something that is stable, cost-effective and has a great ROI, then Talend is a great choice. I have compared ODI to other tools in reviews in the past, but I haven't compared it with Talend.

How has it helped my organization?

Implementing Talend can easily speed up implementation time and reduce the amount spent on the learning curve. Talend reminds me of a tool I used years ago called Hyperion Application Link (HAL). If you had basic knowledge of integration, you could pick up this tool in no time flat. The big difference between HAL and Talend is that the processing abilities of Talend are much better. HAL is clunky and slow. Talend is a powerhouse of ETL.

What is most valuable?

I love the fact that I can copy a step, click a button, and now I have the opportunity to create the opposite of what I was doing.

For example: If I am creating an inner join which produces a file on the target, there could be records that do not have a match. In other ETL tools, you would have to create a whole different process. In Talend, all you have to do is copy the inner join, and there is an option for rejects. Now you can create a separate file for your business users to review.

What needs improvement?

There are no natural connections for some of the applications that I use more regularly. I think that if Talend wants to disrupt the market a bit, they could create built-in calls to Oracle Hyperion applications.

As far as the next release, I would like to see connections to SAP work a bit better. They have a little lag, but this is just me reaching for something because they asked.

Still implementing.

Great stability. As long as your infrastructure is good, then Talend will be great.

This can be a full data warehouse solution at the enterprise level.

We never really had to use it before and never really had a big issue. We only had smaller issues when we first started using it. Talend was very responsive and helpful.

My solutions are client dependent. I do help them evaluate which tool they should use in some cases, but I can't say "I had this tool and I switched because of XYZ".

It's very simple to install. So easy a caveman can do it? No, but someone with basic knowledge of databases can easily get this going.

As a consultant, I do the implementations myself, or a member of the team completes the implementation.

No vendor teams were harmed in the making of our projects.

The ROI on this tool varies. I would say that with the ease of use, you could easily get your worth out of the tool in the first few months.

Make sure you wait until the end of the quarter to get the best deal. Try to talk to multiple salespeople, and sometimes you can get multiple discounts. Let me know, and I can help.

What other advice do I have?

Just be careful to think through everything that you want to do. There are reusable parts to Talend. Use the variables properly. This is advice for any ETL solution.