Talend Data Management Platform Review

Easy to use and powerful solution for managing historical data

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is data integration and managing historical data.

What is most valuable?

It is a very powerful solution to manage historical data and this is one of the key features that I love the most.

What needs improvement?

An area that needs improvement is the administration of data and granting permission for the different developers working on the product at the same time. Talend is a great development tool but the administration, access rights, synchronization and phoning can be better.

New features I would like to see is changing the data capture and different connection abilities to the Oracle database because some connections are suitable for one customer and not for the other, as it is based on the environment architects or on the customer.

I've been working on this program for the past five years.

The stability is good but the performance is slower when I work on a huge amount of data. So I think this area needs some enhancement.

The solution is scalable, and we have about three to five licenses per client.

I would suggest enhancement and improvement in the support program of Talend to have a real Talend expert working with the consultant on the support process and the support to share the knowledge with the consultants. It is very important for Talend to build a good technical team for support. This is the first impression for any customer working with a vendor. So having a very good technical support team on your side will increase the trust of the customer in your product, even if there are many bugs in the application or the environment itself. I think that the system needs more enhancement and more improvement in this aspect. We need to have more cyclical documents written in a very good manner to share the knowledge between the support and the consultant implementing using Talend.

I used Oracle Data Integrator and IBM but I replaced it with Talend. I like that Talend is straightforward. By using Talend we can simulate the theoretical information with the practical exercise.

The initial setup was easy but I would suggest developers to include two different types of installation for the product, like to be able to do silent installation and not interactive installation for both. This is very important for us because when we do the installation and have a lack of resources, the inclusion of silent installation for the product will be great.

What other advice do I have?

I think Talend is one of the easiest tools for faster implementation compared to other tools.  For example, if we're implementing the data integration solution with some other tool, it will take 10 days. But with Talend, it will take less than 50% of the time. So the tool is very easy, the interface is user-friendly for the developer and suitable for the development of the solution. That is one of the key benefits of Talend.

I recommended Talend for two of my four customers during the last four years. I replaced the Oracle Data Integrator and IBM with Talend.

My rating for this solution is eight out of ten.