Talend Data Quality Review

Heap space issues plague us consistently. However, the file fetch process is impeccable.

What is our primary use case?

We are a marketing and advertising company. We use this tool to fetch data from Google, Bing, and Adobe. We receive marketing data daily via email, FTP, and API, then process the data into MySQL tables.

How has it helped my organization?

Coming into the department with no knowledge of Talend, the interface has been user-friendly enough to allow me to come up to speed in four to five months on almost all its functions and use it like a pro.

What is most valuable?

• The file fetch process is impeccable.
  • We are able to get emails from URLs very easily using this function when others fail.
  • tLogRows are also great for finding bad data.

What needs improvement?

NullPointerExceptions are going to be the death of me and are a big reason for our transition away from Talend. One day, it is fine with a 1000 blank rows, then the next day, it will find one blank cell and it breaks down. When we are dealing with millions of rows of data, this can be super hard to find.

Heap space issues also plague us consistently. We maxed it out and it runs fine, then it doesn’t, then it does.

Finding assistance with issues can be spotty. With Python, there are literally millions of open source answers which are recent and apply to the version that we are using.

Inconsistency is a big issue.

Three to five years.