Talend Open Studio for MDM Review

Good stewardship and data prep capabilities with responsive technical support, but the deployment can be tricky

What is our primary use case?

My experience with Talend Open Studio for MDM is supporting an existing customer.

It is used for master data management and is often utilized by industries, companies, or organizations that do a lot of acquisitions and mergers. In cases where there is a lot of different customer information from different areas, they tend to use MDM. Also, in certain regions where a customer is registering in multiple domains, they use this tool to create the master record.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the stewardship and the data prep. These two are very good on the Talend platform.

The Talend data catalog is one of the great features that they implemented recently. It's more about data lineage and it may assist with the data governance program. It is a feature that is emerging in the market now.

What needs improvement?

Creating a model and deploying it is a little bit tricky in Talend, compared to other tools.

I have been using Talend for more than six years.

We have experienced no problems with performance as Talend is scaled. I would say that the scalability is decent.

Technical support is great. The moment you raise a ticket, depending on what SLA you have, they tend to respond quickly.

My understanding is that they're not planning to continue with the MDM product, so I don't think that they're going to continue to support MDM for much longer. It is being passed to a third party that they will work with. It is for this reason that a cloud-based version has not been implemented.

I would say that the initial setup is of moderate difficultly. It's not straightforward, yet not too complex. Once you have a better understanding of the system, it's easy.

The licensing fees vary depending on the products that you purchase.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Talend is to work with the partners because they tend to have a good knowledge of the product. What I have observed, at least in some companies, is that they buy the product and don't know how to use it. It consumes a lot of time and cost from the operations side. I would suggest reaching out for advice to help with the implementation so that it can be done much faster.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.