Talend Open Studio Review

A complete product with good integrations and excellent flexibility

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for integration. I consolidate data from several different databases and spreadsheets and merge systems into Amazon Redshift.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a good balance between automated items and the ability for a developer to integrate and extend what he needs. Other competing tools do not offer the same grade of flexibility when you need to go beyond what is provided by the tool. Talend, on the other hand, allows you to expand very easily.

We have a good integration with Artifactory and a good integration with GitHub.

I don't see the need for anything. At the moment, Talend is a good complete product while at the same time not being overwhelming.

What needs improvement?

What I really don't like is the TAC, which is the Talent Administration Console. It's currently slow, old technology. It's obsolete and ugly to use. The studio is great, whereas TAC is on the other side of the spectrum. Actually, in AWS, in many cases, we are ditching the TAC and we are using Amazon-provided services, like Lambda functions, to code the Talend files produced by Talend Studio.

The server-side should be completely revamped.

I've been dealing with the solution for more than three years.

There are two pairs of version keys that parallelize, which is not available in the free version. However, when you can parallelize your jobs you can achieve a good degree of scalability. This is one of the points where Talend shines compared to, for example, Informatica. Informatica is designed to do one record at a time. It requires expert support and general competence in the product.

Talend, by default, can be very efficient, especially using the bulk load and bulk insert components, which, at the moment we are using. We are moving to approximately 10 terabytes of data daily. Notwithstanding the load, we had to tweak very, very little. Using standard components we could achieve our overall needs.

The fact that the technical support is out of China means that sometimes the engineers don't have a good command of the English language. That could hinder the overall experience. Apart from that, most of the incidents were resolved in 48 hours. Therefore, we're pretty satisfied with the level of service we've received.

I have previously worked with Informatica and TIBCO. I still believe Talent is superior.

Obviously, being on AWS, we're using Linux AMI machines or vertical machines, using two machines. The setup was very easy. The only difficult part was to set up to the current time zone, however, this is nothing to do with Talend. We were having issues when Talend jobs were reporting the wrong date when they arrived because the set up was ETC rather than the local time zone.

Setting up Talend and setting up the administration console at the Tac server was very, very easy for somebody with a Linux System Administration skillset.

I set up the solution on my own.

I don't deal with corporate and pricing. I am just an IT Consultant. I honestly don't know the costs to run the solution. I don't know the price. I know people in the finance department are often complaining about the price, however, I don't know what the exact number is.

It's all relative, after all. I have a very strong Oracle background and the Oracle price is totally outrageous. I don't believe that Talend prices are in the same ballpark as Oracle. I don't understand why people are complaining. That said, I don't deal with signing contracts and processes so I really don't know.

What other advice do I have?

I am an IT Consultant. I use it currently in my job. I'm providing services to a company in Australia, using Talend.

I would advise others to use the Studio. If you have to pay for some license to use the key parallelize component, it's a good idea to do it. However, don't use the TAC. Use the other orchestration services like Control-M or AWS functions such as AWS Lambda. Don't use the TAC. The TAC is really ugly.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher, however, the TAC is unreliable. It's a big part of the solution, and, while I do really appreciate Talend Studio and the ability to link into a producer to make a Java code, which is ugly, I don't care because the job is done anyway. The fact that the orchestration is creating execution plans, from the TAC it's fine. However, when the running of the execution plan, sometimes there are issues. The job remains stuck on the actual server. I've had a lot of issues with TAC.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More Talend Open Studio reviews from users