Talend Open Studio Review

Useful data stewardship and data preparation features but lacks documentation

What is our primary use case?

One use case for Talend Data Management is using it for data integration from multiple data sources and then to build our customer's golden record.

What is most valuable?

The data integration aspect of the solution is excellent.

The product's data preparation features are very good.

There's very useful data stewardship within the product.

From a technical standpoint, the solution itself is pretty good.

There are very good pre-built connectors in Talend, which is good for many clients or businesses, as, in most cases, companies are dealing with multiple data sources from multiple technologies. That is where a tool like Talend is extremely helpful.

What needs improvement?

While I can't really speak to technical aspects that need improvement, I can say that the marketing of the solution is not the best. They need to really improve how they present the solution to potential clients.

The documentation is lacking within the product. They need to get better at all aspects of describing how it works and how to use it.

For example, if you see all the other modern products - like Snowflake or Cloudera - and go to their sites, you will have various types of documentation, including data charts and other things you can get readily access. However, if you go to the Talend site, you won't get this kind of marketing material, which is always required.

It's especially difficult when you're writing a proposal. You need to have the technical specifications. All of these modern solutions are quite advanced in terms of their documentation. You go to their site, and you will get a lot of brochures, reports, and other items. This gives you a detailed understanding of the solutions, and all of the specifications, and technicalities, and other things. For Talend, unfortunately, there's a lag in that aspect.

From a data management or data engineering perspective, they could stabilize their new features more.

It would be ideal if they could consider adding prescriptive or predictive models into their components, such as an alternate data IQ.

We don't use the solution directly per se. We're a solutions provider.

The solution offers very good stability. We haven't really had any issues with glitches or bugs. There aren't problems with the solution crashing or freezing on clients. It's been good.

The solution is good at scalability With their big data integration products, they're actually handling a huge data set and the scalability of it is good. They're well-positioned to scale for the client.

Technical support is pretty good. I would rate them at an eight out of ten. We've been satisfied with the level of support provided overall.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was not complex at all.

Deployment times vary according to the size of the client or their needs. If it's for a big client and big project, it could be six months of implementation time. Smaller jobs may only take one month of implementation. It all depends.

We tend to implement this solution for our clients.

I've briefly looked at Azure Data Factory and have been seeking out comparisons between these two options.

What other advice do I have?

We are the solution provider. We are the company that implements such solutions as Talend. We are not the user of the solutions themselves necessarily. We are the reseller as well as implementation partners and the implementing partner of Talend. We have resources who work on these tools and who implement solutions for our customers.

The version of the solution we use varies from client to client, especially for Talend. They have multiple products, including Talend Data Management and Talend's Data Integration Pipeline. A lot of our customers are using the open-source version of Talend. Some are using the licensed version. From those, some are using it for the data stewardship.

We deploy both cloud and on-premises models as required.

Overall, we've been happy with the product. From a data management perspective, the data preparation, data stewardship and the other features that Talend has, including the MDM, are all extremely important for today's organization.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

More Talend Open Studio reviews from users
...who work at a Insurance Company
...who compared it with Dataloader.io
Learn what your peers think about Talend Open Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.