Talend Open Studio Review

The power of an ETL tool, packaged as a Java app. Developers need some experience for optimal performance.

Valuable Features

It provides the power of an ETL tool but packaged as a Java app without needing any custom product setup. This has helped us handle several of our data integration/migration needs (including the ones needed for our in-house products), without worrying about alignment to our clients' tech infrastructure as long as they are fine to run a Java app.

Its data integration features are as powerful as any other leading product in this space.

Improvements to My Organization

It improved productivity compared to lot of custom SQL data integrations done before, and at a very low cost. Its HTML document generation feature has helped us ensure documentation of all the ETL code.

Room for Improvement

The open-source version has obviously fewer features compared to the enterprise edition. Specifically, the scheduler, rules engine, etc., are really not available, but these are nice-to-have's for a general ETL development where organizations could address these with other tool sets.

Developers need some experience to gain optimal performance and, being a Java application, tuning knowledge of Java apps helps, which is sometimes difficult for a pure ETL developer.

Use of Solution

I have used it for more than a year now.

Version 5.6 works best with Java 7 and quite unstable with 8. I encountered a few issues with the multi-threading function leading to DB connection issues.

I have encountered scalability issues; it requires a bit of tuning before we get to optimal performance.

I have not used customer service that much.

Being open source, technical support is through the Talend forum, which is quite good.

I previously used a different solution., and switched because it offered comparable product features at a lower cost.

Initial setup was not difficult.

Implementation Team

An in-house team implemented it.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Most of the features are available in the open source version. Only if used in a large enterprise with distributed teams, would we need the licensed version with collaborative development features (repository), schedulers, etc.

1 visitor found this review helpful