Talend Open Studio Review

You can drag & drop components and draw lines to connect them together for building your ETL job.

What is most valuable?

It is a powerful tool for data integration: You can simply drag & drop components and draw lines to connect them together for building your ETL job.

There is a list of +900 components available OOTB.

How has it helped my organization?

If you are a data integrator or system integrator, your work will be much easier using Talend Open Studio.

It is an Eclipse-based application; therefore, any developer which has used Eclipse before is able to build jobs and run them.

What needs improvement?

The open-source version does not include the parallel execution; neither the source code versioning or the project collaboration features.

I have used it for three years.

I have not encountered any deployment issues. You download the compressed file from the Talend website (ZIP or TAR.GZ) and extract it to your local machine.

I have not encountered any stability issues; probably the MAC OS X version is less stable than the others.

Scalability is not applicable since it is a desktop application.

It is an open-source application; you do not have the customer service. You can refer to the community forum instead.

It is an open-source application, you do not have technical support. You can refer to the community forum instead.

I did not use a different solution; I have started with Talend.

Initial setup is pretty much straightforward: you have to install the JAVA JDK 1.8 and set the "JAVA_HOME" variable.

The Talend Open Studio is free; there is also the Talend Data Fabric Platform, which requires a license.

The license is per developer, not per CPU.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Zaizi is a Talend parter.