Talend Open Studio Review

A solution that offers good scalability and stability with a responsive technical support team

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution just to pull the data from the source to the landing zone. We are using the administrative console as well.

What needs improvement?

The profiling perspective needs improvement. Instead of using it in the studio, we are using a different tool which is also provided by Talend. It's redundant. They should remove that from studio to make it more lightweight or improve upon its interface.

The two things that Talend lacks is an MDM and the CDC. I know Talend has both of them, but both of them are not exactly usable in actual scenarios. I know that Talend has some integrations with other companies for MDM, but I'm not sure what they're doing for CDC. Maybe Talend can work something out regarding the CDC feature. I know the solution has its own CDC, but they're not focused on it as much as people would like them to be. I would like to know what their plans for it are or if they plan to partner with another organization to market it.

I've been using the solution for four or five years.

Currently, the solution is stable. However, three or four years back, it used to be a bit unstable. The software is quite stable as well.

The solution has quite a good range of scalability. The jobs are quite scalable since we have now integrated them with Docker so we can follow all the principles of microservices.

We have a license for five users. We have someone focused on data quality. Someone else is looking into the solution as a tester, and testers are working on the stewardship tool to correct the data and verify it with the business. Then there are two free developers who are solely working on the Open Studio to turn out code.

We do have plans to increase usage.

I don't have any complaints with technical support. They've been very responsive.

We previously used to use a wide variety of solutions, including Informatica.

The initial setup was quite straightforward. The deployment took between two and three days.

We deployed it in our Unix boxes using a third-party tool called Jenkins.

The whole deployment model is automated and it happens every three weeks. There are just two people needed for maintenance.

We are the consultants. We handled the implementation ourselves for our clients.

There are costs above the standard licensing fee, for example, if you need storage space.

We evaluated other options, such as Azure Data Factory.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the AWS public cloud deployment model.

I would recommend the product. As long as you follow the best practices you will get what you want out of it.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

1 visitor found this review helpful