Talend Open Studio Review

Comes with many connectors for different databases, but training videos would help a lot

What is our primary use case?

I use Open Studio for operational data in the telecom industry. We were working with the data, connecting or joining the tables between different data sources with a very large volume. We perform data preparation and transformation and then look deeper into the details.

How has it helped my organization?

This is not my core tool, but when we have customers who are going to be working with open-source tools then we propose this for ETL use cases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the variety of connectors that are available for integration with different databases.

The drag-and-drop feature in the interface is very good.

The open-source community for this solution has a lot of users, so it is very strong.

What needs improvement?

Having additional training materials, such as a video tutorial, would be an improvement. I used the online guide, which is very good but it is quite long. If there were a video and a training syllabus then it would be good.

I have been using Talend Open Studio for about one year.

I had some issues with stability when I first installed Talend and I think that it was to do with the difference between Java versions. I struggled for a little bit but since then, everything has been going great.

Because I am working on the open-source version, it does not make sense to assess scalability. If I were working on the licensed version then it would matter.

There are two or three of us in the company who uses it.

I had a few problems during the initial setup. I had to configure some environment variables within my machine in order to be able to start working with Talend. I think that it had to do with confusion between Talend and the Java version that I had installed.

The deployment is almost nothing. You just click on the icon and it will launch.

Here in Asia, the on-premises deployment is preferred.

I deployed Talend on my own.

This is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution but I would prefer it if it were easier to find information on how to use it, such as training videos.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.