Talend Open Studio Review

Presents an easy and understandable way to implement data quality features and ensures data quality

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for broader data synchronization, data storage, data transformation, data integration, and other data processing.

What is most valuable?

The feature I like most of all in Talend Studio is the ability to use it to ensure data quality. I like the product because it presents an easy and understandable way to implement data quality features. I license the product specifically because of its ability to handle that type of routine.

What needs improvement?

I do not have so many issues with the product itself but when I do and I contact technical support, the technical support has not always been very good. At times I have had to wait too long to get a solution from them — sometimes even months rather than days. Technical support should definitely be improved.

I think the user interface is an advantage in Talend Open Studio because it is really very good. However, while I am working I sometimes notice a bunch of very minor faults or omissions in the functionality. I see them while working and I don't keep a list so I can not go into many details. But there are a lot of very minor glitches and functional inconsistencies that do not affect the results very much, but if they can be fixed it will improve the system and utility. For example, if I make an FTP connection, I can not use a context variable to define parameters. This feature is just not available and it should be. If such minor gaps are fixed, it would be a much better product and quicker and easier to use.

One other thing that can be improved is that it would be good to have more information on the internet for users to assist with problem-solving and use. I think that there is a lot of information out there but at the same time, it seems like a lot of the information is not the most relevant to what a user really needs. I would advise people coming to the product as new users to read the documentation thoroughly and as much as possible, but I would also hope that the standard and quality of that documentation will be improved by Talend.

I have been working with this product for approximately six months.

We currently have approximately 10 users who are using this solution in our company. In the future we may have plans to increase this usage but that depends on how our needs grow. It does not seem like scaling usage will be an issue.

The customer support is one of the biggest issues I have with the product. The support itself is not always very quick to resolve issues, and that itself is a problem. But also the available information for the product needs to be improved. There is a lot of information, but not all of it is very good.

The initial setup for Talend Open Studio is pretty straightforward. The deployment of any particular job does not take too long. It would be approximately one month in almost every situation.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this solution as an eight out of ten. To give the product a higher score they would have to improve several things. This would start with improving technical support.

As far as advice that I have for people considering this solution, I think that this is a very good product which will be able to resolve most peoples' business needs. I recommend it for use depending on your business needs and situation.

Private Cloud