TeamCity Review

There are the occasional issues in deploying software, but it has centralized our build automation.

Valuable Features

• Centralized build automation
  • Ability to embed powershell scripts for automated deployments
  • Auditability of builds
  • Unit tests
  • Smoke tests
  • Automated deployments

Improvements to My Organization

Continuous integration has reduced build failures and highlighted issues sooner. Automated deployments of web services, database scripts and applications chained across all environments has minimized time and effort, sped up delivery time, reduced risk of human error and enabled automated communication to stakeholders via integration with JIRA for release notes.

Use of Solution

I've used it for three years.

Occasionally issues deploying software using the tool due to configuration issues within the tool (mostly around powershell configuration).

We had to add additional servers to enable a failover capability, but this was more to do with our infrastructure

No issues enquired.

I've not required customer service.

It's good. It's done via online forums.

We previously used Jenkins and Cruise control. We changed to enable one common solution and standard support model, also better functionality.

It was very simple. I have also installed on my home server to enable me to continue to develop and learn the tool.

Implementation Team

We did it in-house.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

The initial cost was only the cost of a virtual server, and database which was less than 1000 Euros a month. I am not aware of ongoing costs.

Other Solutions Considered

No other options were evaluated.

Other Advice

Make sure you define the standards and naming conventions prior to implementing TeamCity.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Orlee GillisConsultant

Debra, how do you find your build automation 10 months later? Have you seen significant progress?

20 October 16