TeamCity Review

Speeds up release cycles and automatically keeps everybody apprised of project status

What is our primary use case?

I've used TeamCity for many years at three different companies. This has been mainly for CI -building and testing software, but also for CD - continuous delivery and deployment. This has included .NET, Java, Ruby on Rails applications, running database scripts, and basically doing anything that can be automated.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides repeatable CI/CD throughout our company with lots of feedback on failures and successes to the intended audiences via email and Slack. This speeds up release cycles tremendously. Also, it helps when it comes to PCI/auditing (if set up correctly), as TeamCity has great security and tracking model.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• Build chains - it's really easy to set up all of your build dependencies
  • Snapshot dependencies and triggers - you always build the correct code as a snapshot is taken at the moment you run the build chain (i.e. no unexpected check-ins are included in your build!)
  • Templates - for setting standards and making the configuration easy and clean
  • Meta runners - sharing code

TeamCity is very stable, is easy to set up and maintain. Once everything is configured there is almost zero time needed to maintain it.

What needs improvement?

It will benefit this solution if they keep up to date with other CI/CD systems out there. Although I think TeamCity has everything anyone would need, and covers almost every scenario, it needs to keep evolving just to appear to be in sync with others.

Also, more marketing would be helpful just to get the word out on what an amazing product TeamCity is.

More than five years.

This is a very stable solution.

The initial setup is easy and there is almost no maintenance.