TeamViewer Review

Enables us to connect to and control remote PCs across various NAT and firewall barriers.

What is most valuable?

• The ability to connect to and control remote PCs across various NAT and firewall barriers.
  • The ability to interact with the computer prior to end-user login.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a lot of remote offices, and without the ability to remotely control the computers at these properties, my job would be much more difficult to perform. I'd otherwise have to jump on a plane to address any and every hardware or end-user situation that pops up. Other competing products, such as LogMeIn and VNC Server, don't offer the same mix of functionality and security.

What needs improvement?

Quick User Switching has a very nasty tendency to render the screen output unstable. If my remote work requires switching logins on the remote computer, TeamViewer's video output will cut out completely and I'd have to instruct the end user over the phone to either restart the computer, or end and then restart the session in order to restore video output. In cases where even this doesn't resolve the issue, I've had to resort to the built-in RDP application in Windows, which, of course, makes it impossible for the end user to interact with the computer for troubleshooting.

I have used this solution for two years.

TeamViewer apparently has compatibility issues with Dell's ImageAssist utility (which we use to author and deploy corporate Windows 10 images). Specifically, the way it interacts with a computer's video drivers isn't exactly supported, so I've had to install it post-imaging. That's likely a problem that Dell has to get straightened out.

I've used several flavors of VNC apps in the past. They were OK, but it took work to make them secure out of the box (insofar as a VNC solution can be secure). I've used LogMeIn before also, but it didn't provide the same level of functionality and versatility as TeamViewer. Plus, it had trouble traversing some firewall solutions.

Initial setup was straightforward. Nothing complicated. Just kept clicking Next, basically.

An in-house team implemented it. My advice would be to research how the program interacts with your imaging solution if you're baking it into your corporate image.

$3000+ for a corporate license was steep, I must say. But if your options are between remote support and hopping on a plane (such being the case in my company and industry), you'll make the money back in saved travel expenses alone.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say consider TeamViewer if your company has several geographically separate branch offices. If you're primarily supporting systems in a single building, I think more cost-effective solutions are available. But of course, go with what works best for your given network setup.

More TeamViewer reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with LogMeIn Pro
Learn what your peers think about TeamViewer. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.