What is most valuable?
- Personal users can use this app for free.
- External cursor view.
- Terminal Services-like services such as use of USB on remote desktop.
- Chat module, to instruct/inform the user on the remote desktop. We don’t have to use an external chat facility such as Skype.
- File transfer for exchanging files
- Scalability. Being able to use it at full screen makes it easier to work in and with
- Remote booting. TeamViewer has a nice utility to remotely reboot a system. So to do that, it's not needed to have someone physically do that at the remote location. During a remote desktop session, you don't want switch back and forth from and to the TeamViewer window. Instead, while you're working, you want to inform, guide or direct someone on the other side to carry out some physical actions you can't do yourself, as you're not there at the remote location, such as shut a system down or pull the power cord out to reset the power supply.
How has it helped my organization?
In a Windows environment, you would have to use Terminal Services Server for this.
What needs improvement?
In the past, use in wireless environments caused buffering due to limited bandwidth.
For how long have I used the solution?
I started to use TeamViewer in 2008.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
I did not encounter any stability issues.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
I have not encountered any scalability issues yet.
How are customer service and technical support?
Technical support is 8/10.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
We used Terminal Services Server, which is obviously expensive.
How was the initial setup?
In both personal and commercial use, initial setup was straightforward.
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
TeamViewer is a professional, flexible solution and platform independent, so it's worth it's price.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
I evaluated Terminal Services, pcAnywhere, DameWare, VNC, Windows RDC (professional only).
What other advice do I have?
For both personal and commercial use, if you are looking for ease of use and flexibility, TeamViewer is a good choice.