TeamViewer Review

It’s primary function of RDP is the product’s most valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

It’s primary function of RDP is the product’s most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been a great way of allowing multiple users both registered and unregistered to use RDP, from both system management and use points of view - as well as using it to support remote users.

What needs improvement?

Clipboard management could be better. As could the drag-and-drop file upload/download function (especially when multiple monitors are involved).

For the clipboard management aspect of improvement it would be nice to have some sort of user isolation in regards to the clipboard. You’re already logged in to an account for TeamViewer, but if multiple people are connected (even if not actively on the same remote machine), the clipboard is shared for everyone. So it’s very possible to copy a block of text and when pasting you end up pasting a completely different block of text. Even a clipboard viewer would be nice – maybe show the last 3 or 4 copies so if someone else did copy as well you could at least see it.

For the drag and drop issue, if dragging from a remote TeamViewer window you have to drag and drop on to the same monitor. And there can’t be any other windows in the background you are moving over; otherwise the transfer won’t work. Often times we have multiple remote machines open on one monitor that often overlap. Having to shuffle screens around on the desktop is tedious just to be able to drag and drop. So we end up using the file transfer window process instead. So it’s a “neat feature” to have drag and drop, but implementation has a few pitfalls.

I have used it for four years.

There have been a few times when TeamViewer has been down globally, so that’s definitely an issue for consideration.

I have not had any scalability issues. It’s worked really well for one-machine access for home use, as well with 30+ servers and multiple open connections.

Technical support is usually prompt and helpful. Following their Twitter feed helps with monitoring for external issues and outages.

I have used several different variations of RDP from pcAnywhere to straight Windows RDP. TeamViewer is very easy to set up, use, and instruct others to get running, which is great for support. Very little if any fiddling with firewall rules is needed, so that’s a real plus.

Initial setup was very straightforward. There are multiple installs depending on what you need (host, client, etc.), and it’s easy to switch from one to another or just disable the features that aren’t needed.

The free version is great to get started with and for a lot of people, it might be all that is needed. If you are going to be using multiple machines with multiple connections, you’ll need to consider the enterprise version.

I did not evaluate any software prior to starting to use TeamViewer. The company was already using it when I was hired. But it’s definitely better than a lot of the other RDP clients out there.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on usage, one thing to watch for is the shared clipboard feature. It is nice to have the ability to share the clipboard between machines. However, it also shares it among all the users connected to the same machines. So, in our case, we’d have 4-8 different users connected randomly to different machines. And the clipboards would sometime transfer from user to another. So something that was copied from one user was pasted into another user’s work (can be both frustrating and comical at times).

It is possible to lose connectivity due to external issues, so that might be something to consider.

As with all RDP clients and the functions that they provide, pay close attention to application security parameters, as well as security on the machines themselves. You are opening a direct line of communication to your machines, so tread carefully.

More TeamViewer reviews from users